Hi, thanks for your question about different models of representation while the terms delegate, partisan, trustee and mirror are not commonly used to describe representation, they do relate to four different ideas about how members of parliament represent the people who elected them. A theory of political accountability justin fox1 and kenneth w shotts2 july 23, 2007 1assistant professor, study delegate and trustee representation have long recognized as playing a central role in elections polar types an ambitious politician is a single-minded seeker of re-election, whereas an unambitious.
This site might help you re: what is the difference between a delegate and a trustee i need to know the difference the difference between themand their definitions if possibleand fast thanks in advance. Proportional representation: an electoral system in which parties gain seats in proportion to the number of votes cast for them in an election for an assembly of some sort (eg one part gets 60% of the vote, you get 60 seats the other party gets 40%, they get 40 seats. Representation that are prevalent within parties divided into the partisan, trustee and delegate styles policy congruence between parties and their voters conceptualised as how close.
Congressional politics final review study play delegate vs trustee model one of the strongest examples of partisan influence on institutional procedure -could be a delegate (direct representation) or a trustee (individual judgment)-gerrymandering franking privelege. John mill is a vehement defender of the trustee style of representation, and it appears that this style is generally advantageous to the legislature as a whole, but if you are a representative, it might not help you get reelected.
Trustee style, the source for decision making is the represen-tative themselves, under the partisan style it is the party policy and under the delegate style the source is the voters considering this main difference, it is reasonable to hypothesise that there are different factors linked to each source that encourage different styles within parties. The trustee versus delegate typology, sometimes adding the partisan as a role, has been quite dominant, many authors have proposed other terms and definitions such as purposive roles (wahlke et al 1962), position and preference roles (searing 1994) and policy representation and. The delegate and trustee models of representation are highly contrasting delegates carry out instructions or orders from those whom they represent they cast a vote or make a decision as their constituents would have them do, even when it conflicts with their private opinion. The delegate model of representation often applies to situations in which the represented bodies are independent entities with conflicting interests the trustee model of representation is the norm for representative bodies within a nation. The results show that both the delegate and trustee styles of representation are almost equally popular the support for the different styles of representation is connected to socio-demographic factors, party identification and political orientation.
A major issue that must be considered when we think about the way we want the people who we choose to represent us to behave is whether they should act as trustees or as delegates these two styles of representation are radically different, and the choice of one or the other could mean radically different legislative outcomes for a representative’s constituents. Trustee style, the source for decision making is the represen- tative themselves, under the partisan style it is the party policy and under the delegate style the source is the voters.
Political parties and style of representation: (maiden name: the input of politcians’ role-orientation: representatives, parties and political systems) this paper focuses on how party characteristics explain styles of representation emphasised (1986) add the partisan role to the trustee versus delegate typology, claiming that this. In political representation, an instructed delegate is a representative who acts according to the wishes of his constituents, while a trustee exercises his own judgment the delegate model of representation often applies to situations in which the represented bodies are independent entities with. The delegate and the trustee conception of political representation place competing and contradictory demands on the behavior of representatives [for a discussion of the similarities and differences between madison’s and burke’s conception of representation, see pitkin 1967, 191–192.